There’s nothing crazier than the holiday shopping experience – literally hundreds of people all looking to do the same thing – get in, get what they need, and get out. However, it seems that everyone decides to go all at once, making it sometimes less than pleasant and hard to enjoy. During these times of crowded areas, it’s also a smart move to really be aware of your situation and surroundings as this is a peak time for thieves to access whatever you’ve got available to them. Here are some tips to take care of yourself and your belongings while you’re out:
If you’re driving…
- Scan the parking lot before you park/when you’re leaving the store. Just take a second to ensure no one has been hanging around, looking suspicious.
- Park in a well-lit area to deter any predators as well, and keep your personal belongings out of plain sight.
- Always, always, always lock your car.
- Keep your purse close to you at all times, and secured if possible.
Or using public transportation…
- Don’t set packages or personal belongings on the ground if at all possible.
- Be aware of your surroundings by staying alert and trying your hardest not to fall asleep during your travel time.
- Never have both hands full. Keep yourself protected!